Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nurses Care - Why not Christians?

My name is Beracha and I'm on the 100-Mile team. I'm 21 years old and I currently am graduating from McMaster University's nursing program in April of 2011. I spent the day at a national nursing conference held here in Hamilton. I had such a wonderful time attending sessions being inspired, instructed, hearing from experienced nurses and meeting new nurses (Christians too). It was so exciting to watch over 800 people joining together to care for people. These men and women are passionate about caring, and passionate about peoples' lives. Each and every nurse there paid almost 200 dollars just to spend 3-4 days learning about becoming a better nurse, how to listen to people better and to learn about the current needs of our communities. These nurses willingly attended this conference - and willingly paid the money. It breaks my heart to think about the number of Christians we are trying to twist their arm or convince them to support us as we try to help those in need. This nursing conference filled up very soon after registration opened. I wish we could say that we were overwhelmed by peoples' participation in giving to the work of missions. Christ gave himself for us, yet we can't give a little money or a little time to love others? I had a lovely inspiring day, but it broke my heart to consider the reality that there aren't huge numbers of Christians joining together, sacrificing time and money to care for others. What's wrong with that picture? We've been given so much.
-Beracha